Thursday, August 18, 2016

Benefiting from critique

Benefiting from critique


  1. I am learning. It is okay for me to make mistakes.
  2. I am learning. I want to know how to fix my mistakes.
  3. I am learning, and I am grateful when someone takes the time to try and teach me.
  4. When someone has helped me identify a problem it is within my grasp to fix, I will practice that change until it is a part of my artistic repertoire.
Feeling good? Deep breaths! Here we go. It’s time for you to seek out critique. Try to find people who are further along in their practice than you are (IE, more skilled, at least in some aspect of art) and willing to offer you some critique and show them your most recent work.
Consider carefully and honestly what they have to say. You might not agree with all of the critique you receive, and that’s okay. But if a common theme emerges, wherein multiple people are telling you that you have a specific problem, make it your priority to practice fixes to that issue in your next sessions.
Even if you disagree with the critique that you have received, if someone took the time to try and help you, always thank them.

Be sincere here! Someone shared their hard-won knowledge with you in an attempt to help you advance. That’s a true gift.
Critique can only help you if you approach it from the standpoint of genuinely wanting to learn and improve, and then take action on it. But if you are able to do that, and do it frequently, you suddenly have the benefit of not just your own experience but the experiences of all the artists around you, too. You will get personalized advice, tailored only to you and your artwork, about how to take the next step in improvement. You will be pushed outside of your artistic comfort zones and given the tools to make yourself the master of these new areas.

http://artists.pixelovely.com/benefiting-from-critique/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment